Poor performance/lag when host screen is off

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / Poor performance/lag when host screen is off

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Coleman
    Participant

While I’ve been trying to figure out hw acceleration, I’ve just noticed something else. I’m running NoMachine host on a laptop, and if the laptop has powered the screen off, when I connect, the performance is really laggy. I had initially thought this was a problem with my wifi, so I switched it to a wired connection. After some testing, I’ve figured out as soon as I wake the host screen up, everything works very well. While the screen is powered down, it acts like I’m connected over a low bandwidth connection.

Is there anything I can do about that? Even if it’s just remotely causing the screen to wake. I see there’s options for the opposite (blank/lock screen on connect), but I didn’t notice one to wake the screen.

If it comes down to it, I’ll just disable shutting the screen off at the OS level, but if there’s a way I can leave that enabled and not break performance, that’d be preferred.

Thanks!

fra81

Hi Coleman,

can you show the output of the ‘xset q’  command run inside the NoMachine session, when the screen is off?

Coleman
    Participant

Output here…additional data point, I think it’s specifically when the screen is powered off from the power saver settings, not just from the screensaver blanking.

jason@CB5:/dev/dri$ xset q
    Keyboard Control:  auto repeat:  off    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
    XKB indicators:  00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    off    02: Scroll Lock: off
    03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
    06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
    09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
    12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
    auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  20
    auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf  fadfffefffedffff  9fffffffffffffff   fff7ffffffffffff
    bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
    Pointer Control: acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
    Screen Saver: prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  no
    timeout:  60    cycle:  60
    Colors: default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
    Font Path: /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,built-ins
    DPMS (Energy Star): Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 120
    DPMS is Enabled
    Monitor is Off

Carin
    Participant

Hi Coleman,

thank you!
    As you well described, although it is possible to connect to a server when the monitor is powered off, in some conditions the performance of the connection is low.
    We have created a feature request for this issue: Giving the possibility to automatically awake Linux server monitor from sleep mode.  In the meantime, we recommend avoiding to let the screen shut down on the server machine.

You can tick the box at the bottom of the feature request (‘notify me’) to show your interest and to be notified when it will be released.

Coleman
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! I’ll just do that, disable the power off mode on the laptop.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.