Conflict over port 20001

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / Conflict over port 20001

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jabbakus
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am trying to run kind+istio+kiali on my Ubuntu VM. Kiali insists on running on port 200001 but that’s also where the session for the nx server listens to, and it starts first and take over the port.

I have changed to server.cfg according to instructions from  https://knowledgebase.nomachine.com/AR01L00770

b) A port, used locally, to let the nxserver process started for the session communicate with the principal nxserver service. Number of this port starts from 20000 and it’s incremented by one when a new session is created.

A hidden key in the server configuration file allows to define a different base value for this port. Just add the ServerSlaveBase key at  the end of the server.cfg file, e.g.:

ServerSlaveBase 30000

but the nx server still runs at tcp 200001  after my vm reboot:

sudo lsof -i :20001
    COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    nxserver. 18373   nx   15u  IPv4 134856      0t0  TCP localhost:46794->localhost:20001 (CLOSE_WAIT)
    nxserver. 18894   nx    8u  IPv4 143585      0t0  TCP localhost:20001 (LISTEN)

Either the documentation is wrong, either I am reading it wrong. Any clues?

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Can you try rebooting the VM again and also restart nxserver? Please also send us your server.cfg file so we can check its configuration. You can send it direct to us at forum[at]nomachine[dot]com. Thanks!

Jabbakus
    Participant

Hi Britgirl and thanks for looking into this, I have rebooted the VM and also restarted the nx server, it is still running on port 20001 after the reboot:

$sudo lsof -i :20001

COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    nxserver. 12446   nx   15u  IPv4 107411      0t0  TCP localhost:47002->localhost:20001 (CLOSE_WAIT)
    nxserver. 12908   nx    8u  IPv4 114166      0t0  TCP localhost:20001 (LISTEN)

Attached is the content of my server.cfg from  /etc/NX/server/localhost/server.cfg :

######################################################################
    #                                                                    #
    #  Copyright (c) 2001, 2019 NoMachine, http://www.nomachine.com.     #
    #  All rights reserved.                                              #
    ######################################################################

#
    # Specify the path of base directory where the NX software has been
    # installed.
    #

ServerRoot = “/usr/NX”
    ServerSlaveBase 30000

Britgirl
    Keymaster

NoMachine’s cfg files are in  /usr/NX/etc/ and notin /etc/NX/server/localhost/server.cfg.

/etc/NX/server/localhost/server.cfg should not be edited by users. Remove the line:
    ServerSlaveBase 30000

from that file and add it to /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg.

You can find more about the server and node.cfg files here: https://knowledgebase.nomachine.com/AR02N00877.

Jabbakus
    Participant

Hi Britgirl and thanks for your reply, the change suggested above worked. Thanks, I am all good now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.