Tagged: desktop sharing
May 26, 2021 at 10:36 #33640
I’ve run into this strange situation where desktop sharing between a Centos7 client and Redhat (Almalinux) 8.3 server was working but then isn’t any longer (the other way around CentOS7 server RH/AL 8.3 client works OK). The symptoms are:
-when logged in on the server and connecting with the client I need to authenticate to “refresh system repositories”. When I’m not logged in on the server and I connect with the client I additionally have to authenticate to unlock the key-ring.
– when I log into the server and open windows applications; these are not showing on the client when I connect and vice versa new windows opened on the client do not show on the server; however using “who” at the command line shows only one user logged in (in fact this is the user on the server: when I log out on the server the session on the client reports no users on “who”)
– when logged in on the server and connected with the client I can only run firefox on either the server or the client but not on both as the second activation of firefox complains about firefox already running …
– sometimes a warning about user “gdm” appears when requesting to power down the server …
I tried both on the standard X11 as the Wayland server (Gnome sessions on both server client) on the server host and as you can imagine there are many combinations to test (logging first into the server or not … logging in and out and connecting with the client … logging out when the client is connected … etc)
Can someone help me setting the server correctly to share copy of its active desktop to the client (it works flawlessly running Ubuntu 20.04 instead of Almalinux on the same server host; and as mentioned it worked before on the Almalinux but something changed …)
Many thanks upfront
F.May 27, 2021 at 08:06 #33667
I’ll answer with my solution for the record … and in the hope it might help someone.
I uninstalled NoMachine on the server and reinstalled version 7.5.2_1.
I had done that before hoping that going from version 7.4.1_1 to 7.5.2_1 might have resolved the issues but to no avail; however, this time I also deleted the “/usr/NX” directory before reinstalling.
As by magic everything works again normally.May 28, 2021 at 10:07 #33709BritgirlKeymaster
Maybe an entry in DefaultDesktopCommand was no longer valid for your sysem after you executed the system update?
Anyway, Thanks for letting us know. A clean reinstallation fixed it, so that’s the important thing.May 31, 2021 at 08:28 #33755
the “misconfiguration” appears to happen when the RH/AL 8.3 NoMachine server updates. The client complained about not finding any sessions to connect to and asked me if I wanted to create a new one. I had the uninstall – erase /usr/NX – reinstall again on the server.
I’m just puzzled nobody else has experienced this on a RH/AL before.June 1, 2021 at 11:31 #33816CarinParticipant
we were not able to reproduce a problem similar to the one you described, during the NoMachine upgrade.
We will take a closer look at NoMachine behaviour during RHEL upgrades to see if we can reproduce and fix that issue.
This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.