I have the latest available NoMachine build (4.0.369) installed on an OSX 10.6.8 box.
When the machine is booted, I get the black icon in the menubar indicating that the NX server is running. I open the server status window, stop the server, and click “No” when asked if the service should automatically restart upon rebooting. I then exit the server and the black icon disappears.
However, when I restart the machine, the server automatically restarts (and the black icon shows up again in the menu bar).
We were unable to reproduce this. In the next release, considerable rewrite of the monitor has been done and it might be that the bug you are encountering could well be fixed, albeit without a specific patch in place.
If you submit a full set of server logs, we can have it checked out to make sure that it’s not happening in 4.1.
1. As root edit /Applications/NoMachine.app/Contents/Frameworks/etc/server.cfg
2. Change #SessionLogLevel 6 to SessionLogLevel 7
3. Restart nxserver command: /Applications/NoMachine.app/Contents/Frameworks/bin/nxserver –restart
4. Try to reproduce problem.
5. Send /Library/Application\ Support/NoMachine/var/log/nxserver.log. Either attach it here or submit to forum[at]nomachine[dot]com.