Screen resolution fixed at 1024×768

Forum / NoMachine for Windows / Screen resolution fixed at 1024×768

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    donnyhardo
    Participant

When I connect to my server via RDP (Windows), I can get 1920×1080 resolution. When I connect via NoMachine, it only wants to give me a maximum of 1024×768. See attached screenshots. RDP seems to be using a different monitor.

I can’t move the slider, and entering a custom resolution does nothing. If I use the Fit To Window, Resize Remote Screen or Fullscreen shortcut buttons it only makes it bigger, and loses scale proportion. Is there a trick I need to know?

Local Windows 10, Remote Windows Server 2008. Latest Free version on both

graywolf
    Participant

You are right: RDP session creates a virtual display, while NoMachine provide access to the physical display.
    The video output of the server is likely disconnected, or the monitor is turned off, so the video card shows just one default resolution.
    If you don’t mean to attach a monitor to the server, could consider using a fake display dongle to make video card enable other resolutions.

donnyhardo
    Participant

Thanks. It’s a virtual server in a data centre, so I’m not sure how to do this. By fake display dongle you’re talking about a physical piece of hardware I assume? I wonder if there is a way to trick it to use a virtual display like RDP?

graywolf
    Participant

Yes, the dongle is physical, so it is not the correct option of a virtual machine. This suggestion could help: Setting display resolution beyond 1024×768 with headless Windows 10. I didn’t test it on my own but you could give it a try (as usual, be very careful editing the Windows registry).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.