November 10, 2020 at 17:22 #30285
– I am running NoMachine Terminal Server (6.12.3) on a headless server (at least no monitor connected) with an dedicated nvidia 1050 graphics card, Ubuntu 20, gnome with gdm3 (but lightdm doesnt change the error)
– I initially got semi-random crashes in different applications (rstudio, matlab) when running them individually under virtualgl. I think I simplified the problem and can get the same crashes only with glxgears and no virtualgl:
– I have to maximize/minimize glxgears several times. At one point, I will shortly (less than a sec to a second) see the purple ubuntu-login screen color, the program continues for some seconds and then I get kicked out of the NoMachine session.
– The identical problem happens with other software, e.g. matlab, or with virtualgl. Under virtualgl it tends to happen faster.
– If I log-in again, my zsh shell reports the following:
> 140 frames in 5.7 seconds = 24.529 FPS
> X connection to :1002 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
– I don’t have an entry in .xsession-errors
– I have a debug file for the virtualgl case ready
– If I activate virtualgl for all applications, then I cannot login through the nomachine interface – it immediately crashes.
– nvidia-smi reports: NVIDIA-SMI 455.32.00 Driver Version: 455.32.00 CUDA Version: 11.1
I hope you can help me fix this! It makes working on the server impossible.November 16, 2020 at 12:36 #30361MthContributor
First some questions.
1. You say it’s headless machine (without monitor) but there is gdm3/gnome installed. Does the desktop manager run and NoMachine connects to it, or does NoMachine create virtual session? If during connection you have a question asking to create desktop or if in server.cfg you have
CreateDisplay key uncommented and set to 1 – it is virtual one.
2. Is there any signs of nxnode/nxserver processes crashing in the system? By default there could
be a report in /var/crash directory. If that’s the case please provide us with backtrace, eg.
apport-retrace --output=nxnode.retraced /var/crash/_usr_NX_bin_nxnode.bin.1000.crash
Also please provide us with the content of /usr/NX/var/log directory from server machine.
Please send the logs to forum[at]nomachine[dot]com using the title of this forum’s thread as the mail’s subject.
/MthNovember 16, 2020 at 15:56 #30397
1. CreateDisplay is set to 0 and commented. I was writing headless, because there is no physical monitor/keyboard etc. connected (as written I do have a dedicated graphics card).
2. No crash reports of nxnode/nxserver. If matlab/rstudio crashes I sometimes get a crash report here, if the whole session drops, I dont get one.
Today I was looking at journalctl and found these errors:
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 gnome-shell: NOTE: Not using GLX TFP!
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 org.gnome.Shell.desktop: GNOME Shell crashed with signal 11
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 org.gnome.Shell.desktop: == Stack trace for context 0x557ab880c5d0 ==
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 gnome-session: gnome-session-binary: WARNING: Application ‘org.gnome.Shell.desktop’ killed by signal 11
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 gnome-session: gnome-session-binary: WARNING: App ‘org.gnome.Shell.desktop’ respawning too quickly
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 gnome-session: gnome-session-binary: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry….
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 gnome-session-binary: Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 gnome-session-binary: WARNING: Application ‘org.gnome.Shell.desktop’ killed by signal 11
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 gnome-session-binary: WARNING: App ‘org.gnome.Shell.desktop’ respawning too quickly
Nov 16 12:39:02 ccs-srv-001 gnome-session-binary: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry….
I get the “”NOTE: Not using GLX TFP!”” error more regularly. Google told me to reinstall gnome-shell which I did (did not reboot because calculations are running though).
I will send the log-files.November 23, 2020 at 15:15 #30497
I resolved my issues. a) I installed XFCE instead of Gnome, that resolved the issues. b) I then had troubles with virtualGL (graphics card was not found). After purging & reinstalling the nvidia drivers it works now, also in Gnome-shell.
Thanks for your help!
This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.