Forum Replies Created
Thank you. It works now.
I sent the logs. Before sending them, I had a look at nxupdate.log. Apparently /etc/pulse/client.conf was missing, causing the updater to fail the audio setup. I tried creating a client.conf to see if that might fix the problem, but I couldn’t find any information on how to regenerate it. From what I’ve read, I shouldn’t even need it. I tried “nxnode –audiosetup” with an empty client.conf, and while according to the log file it had appeared to work, it didn’t affect the problem.
I have some more information. I looked in /usr/NX/var/log/node/C-*-1001-*/session and found “NvInitCuda: ERROR! Failed to initialize CUDA device”. So I googled the error and found https://www.nomachine.com/TR02N06446. I tried the solution I found on that page, but when I ran the compiled program I kept getting 999 as output, even when running as root. After some more googling I decided to install the cuda and opencl-nvidia packages for Arch Linux. After rebooting, I again ran the program I compiled and its output this time was “0”. However, for NoMachine got a new error: “NvEncode: ERROR! Error is 15, ‘Invalid version’.”
The best information I could find for this error was at https://www.nomachine.com/TR01Q09096, but it supposedly only applies to Volta GPUs, and mine is a GTX 970.
I was unable to get NoMachine to start my desktop environment. I tried adding unix-xsession-default to AvailableSessionTypes in node.cfg and server.cfg, and also setting DefaultDesktopCommand to “/usr/bin/dbus-launch –exit-with-session /usr/bin/mate-session”, but mate-session couldn’t connect to DBus.
The frame rate is not set to anything in particular. The option “Request a specific frame rate” is unchecked.
I actually don’t have a way to measure the lag. I was just guessing, so maybe my estimate was meaningless. However, the lag is definitely noticeable. If I try to play Minecraft, there is enough of a delay when looking or jumping to make it not worth play using NoMachine. Also, if I enable “Show remote cursor pointer”, I can see the cursor trailing if I move it even a little bit.
I am connecting to the “physical” display of the server. It is headless, but I’m using an HDMI dummy plug.
The CPU usage on the client and the host look good. They are well below 100%.
I forgot to include information about the software I’m using, so I’ll do so now.
- NoMachine free version 6.4.6 on both the local and remote machine
- Problem arises connecting to a physical display
- Remote OS: Arch Linux, up to date, kernel version 4.20.6
- Local OS: Manjaro, up to date, kernel version 4.14.94
- MATE desktop on both the client and server