Forum Replies Created
Thanks for the help.
I was located next to the NoMachine host/server and could see its desktop’s output on the connected monitor, so no problems with the Xorg service. Another piece of information: when it fails to detect the current physical display, if I select for it to create a new one, it is unable to do so.
Unfortunately another cron issue I just ran into:
I also run a file backup script from cron that I again want run from a terminal emulator that’s displayed on the desktop. Although the dbus-launch trick is able to get the window to show up, the script asks for me to unlock the login keyring when run, something that did not happen with v6.7 in the past. I’d actually had this problem earlier on the physical display and got around it by setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=”unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus” but that trick no longer works. Thinking perhaps gnome-terminal was the problem I installed another terminal emulator (Simple Terminal) and although it did not require dbus-launch to get the terminal window to show up, it still asked for the login key ring. Any suggestions for this?
Sorry, that last sentence should have read: performance-wise is there much difference between version 6.7 and the most recent 7.X?
dbus-launch fixed this, excellent, thanks!
However, now I have a problem where unless I have the NoMachine server set to run at startup any connection attempt reports that the currently running display (physical) cannot be detected even after restarting the NoMachine server. Could this be caused by using player version 6.7 to connect to server version 7.X?
Performance-wise is there v 6.7 and the most recent 7.X version?
That looks promising, thanks. I agree, seems like it could be a gnome-terminal problem, but I thought I’d ask here since everything was fine before upgrading from 6.7.6_11 to 6.12.3 (and later a 7.6.2_4 version I tried after encountering the problem). I’ll try using dbus-launch and report back in a couple of weeks when I’m back in town in case it might help someone else.
Thanks for the response. It seems the problem is specific to gnome-terminal being run from cron for some reason (previously I’d assumed it was for any program with a GUI component). I use gnome-terminal because I want the terminal to be visible from the desktop. Before I upgraded it worked fine. Unfortunately including the environment variables as you suggested did not help.